What is Sedation Dentistry?
As sedation dentistry becomes more and more common, you’ve probably been wondering how it works, and if it can help you have an easier experience at the dentist. Sedation dentistry is a great way to address fears of dental procedures, and at East Cooper Smiles, we are proud to offer sedation for our patients.
If you have anxieties about going to the dentist, you may be struggling to make those regular appointments. However, your oral health is so important to your overall health, and visiting the dentist regularly can make a huge difference!
What You Need to Know about Sedation Dentistry
Can you imagine having a relaxing dentist appointment? With sedation, this is completely possible. Here’s what you need to know about the procedure:
- Sedation can be administered at several levels to help you manage your treatment at a level that you feel most comfortable with. Typically a full anesthesia where a patient is completely unconscious is not needed.
- A wide array of dental procedures can be performed with the use of sedation dentistry. This means you can be relaxed and at ease whether you’re getting just a traditional cleaning, or whether you are undergoing a more extensive procedure.
- Sedation dentistry is most appropriate for patients with a low pain threshold, severe anxiety about dentist visits, very sensitive teeth, or those who need a good deal of dental treatments completed.
- Your dentist will monitor your vital signs closely while you are under sedation, and will have drugs on hand that reverse the effects of sedation if needed.
- Your dentist will go over your medical history before you begin treatment, and you should also receive documentation explaining the risks involved. Your dentist can help you determine if sedation dentistry is right for you.
Dental health impacts the health of our entire body, so going to the dentist to complete the treatments that you need is more important than you might think. That being said, anxiety prevents many people from visiting their dentist. Consulting with your dentist is the best way to determine if sedation is the right choice to address your fears, and get the care you need!
Sedation Dentistry Charleston
If you have any questions about sedation dentistry in Charleston, or if you would like to schedule an appointment with our experienced dentist, give us a call or send an email today for more information on getting started!